"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God, in Him will I trust." Psalms 91:2

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy Birthday to MY Dad!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DAD, HOWARD FRANKLIN MORAN!!
"The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage."
Psalms 16:6

 
Today, I want to celebrate my dad...he turns 69 years old today and I am grateful that he is celebrating another birthday.  My dad has overcome much in his life and yet, he has remained faithful to the Lord and has maintained his attitude of "the joy of the Lord".  I am grateful that he is my dad and I am thankful for the wonderful example he has been for me through the years.
 
My dad grew up in poor circumstances, but he never complained to us or made us think he had a bad life.  I remember a trip once that my husband and I took with my parents to Baltimore (where dad grew up) and we saw many places from my dad's childhood.  I am so glad that I had the opportunity to see where dad grew up and learn more about his childhood.  I have only been to Baltimore about 5 times in my life.  We did not go there often when I was a child and I really never had the opportunity to know my dad's family very well.  He came from a very large family.  I wish I would have known all of them better, but due to a myriad of circumstances, this was not the case.
 
Dad joined the Air Force and served our country for 20 years.  I am proud to be the daughter of a veteran.  My dad served with honor and integrity.  He was stationed in Vietnam for a time.  It was in Vietnam that my dad came to accept the Lord as his personal Saviour.  He had a bunkmate who was a Christian and would witness to dad often.  After many times of witnessing and living an example of Christ, dad came to a knowledge of Christ and trusted Him, alone, as his way to Heaven.  I am so thankful for this man who witnessed to my dad...his name is Weldon and I am forever grateful to him for showing my dad the way of salvation.
 
While serving in Vietnam, a lady, named Margaret, began writing to this GI, Howard.  They wrote for a while and then, when dad came back stateside they met in person.  Their relationship continued and in January of 1969, they were married...now well over 40 years they are still married.  I am thankful that they resolved no matter what may happen to stay together and make a marriage that would please God.
 
Dad grew slowly, but steadily in the Lord for a period of years while I was a young girl.  I remember going to church faithfully.  I remember praying at night with dad.  I remember learning to trust God to supply our needs.  I remember serving in the church with my family.  I remember living in a home where God mattered and was important.  I am thankful for a dad who did what he knew to do to ensure that I would live for God and seek Him with my whole heart.
 
I remember my dad being diagnosed with congestive heart failure in his fourties.  The doctors have been amazed that he is still living.  I know why though...God had more for dad to do in his life. Dad has given his life for others.  He has helped people financially.  He has allowed people to live in our home when they had no where else to go.  He has helped young people through hard times.  He has been an encourager to those who are discouraged. He has been a "rock" for our family.  He has been faithful to my mom.  He has stayed faithful to his Saviour.
 
 Two years ago this month, dad had surgery to remove cancer from his body.  I remember thinking "what would I do without dad?"  He has always been here for me.  I call him and he is there.  He is there when I need encouragement.  He is there when I need chewed out (which is often).  I am not sure why I call at times like this, but I think it is because my dad has always been a "voice of reason" and a voice that I trust.  I have had to make some hard decisions in my lifetime and dad has always had wisdom to help me with these decisions.  I have learned that by honoring my dad, God has been pleased.  I am so thankful that God has seen fit to give my dad more time with our family!
 
I could go on and on, but I won't....I just desired to share with you a little bit about my dad and why I am so very thankful for him.  We named our oldest son in honor of my dad, Ryan Jeffrey-Franklin and our youngest son, Jordan, well, he is JUST like my dadI am thankful that long after dad is rejoicing in Heaven one day, I will still have my boys as reminders of this great man that I have been privileged to call DAD all my life.  God sure has been good to me!!
 
Dad, I love you more than words could ever express and I am so humbled to be your daughter! I trust your birthday will be extra special and you will know how very much you are loved.
 
Your daughter,
 Robyn    
 aka:  "Radar ears" 
(okay, that is a story for another day, but dad knows what this means)

1 comment:

  1. This was a very sweet tribute to your dad. I still remember hearing his testimony years ago! Thank-you for your blog, I am so glad technology allows me the opportunity to learn from those wiser than me in the ministry!

    ReplyDelete