"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God, in Him will I trust." Psalms 91:2

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Church - Is it a Committment or a Convenience?

Psalm 122:1 says, "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord."
Today's post is a result of several week's of hearing "reasons" as to why people can't be at church.  I realize a person's relationship with God is between them and God.  I am not here to argue that fact, but I do sometimes wonder why people so casually choose not to be in church. Don't misunderstand, I am fully aware that there are times when one is providentially hindered from attending church.  I, myself, battle with a chronic physical issue and sometimes I am bedridden and unable to attend, but the difference is I humanly cannot as opposed to I chose not to attend.
That is the primary difference:  A person chooses TO attend or chooses NOT TO attend.
Why church?
Well let us remember what the familiar passage from Hebrews 10:25, "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching," tells us. Is says not to forsake. Simply put, you and I NEED church.  We need the fellowship, the encouragement, and the preaching. All throughout the New Testament we read of the people being daily in the temple.
It could be summed up this way as being a matter of convenience or committment for a person. So, what is the difference between convenient and committment?
CONVENIENT - the state of being suitable or agreeable to the needs or purpose; easy; at hand; comfortable for use
COMMITMENT - to give in trust or charge; to bind or obligate, as by pledge or assurance
Is it convenient to go to church?
Hmm...let's see....I work all week and don't get a day off...I think I should be able to stay home on Sunday or Wednesday.  Afterall, I am tired.
Hmm...let's see...it's a holiday and well, I just want to be with my family.
Hmm...my children have homework.
Hmm...I need time with my spouse; it's the only time we have to be alone.
Hmm...let's see...because I work so much I just don't get time to do my projects or fun stuff...you know, like clean my house, go to the lake, swim with the family etc.
Is it a committment of your heart to God?
Hmm...I love the Lord and I long to please Him.
Hmm...I love the family of God and know that being with them will encourage each of us.
Hmm...My being there may be a blessing to someone who needs me.
Hmm...I need to hear from the man of God the Word of God.
Hmm...It is right to do, therefore I CHOOSE to go to church.
Now, this is probably not going to be a popular post, but ladies, let's just be real....God needs us and we need Him.  When we choose to skip church for "whatever"...you fill in the blank, ask yourself, what would God think of that reason?  I mean, really, what would God think? 
I am so thankful for a husband who loves God and has taught our family when church is open, we are there.  Vacation, not a problem...we are in church.  We don't travel during church hours.  What? You don't travel during church hours?  No, we really don't...never have.  I promise it can be done.  I know some of  you may think we are nuts and maybe we are but I choose to believe my husband and I are committed to God and we desire to show Him through action.  I long desperately for my children to grow up and be COMMITTED to God, not just casual or convenient in their relationship with Him.  If we are haphazard in our church attendance, then the chances of our children stepping it up are quite slim.  Church attendance does not define our relationship with God, but it does tell something about our relationship with God. Why?  Because it shows where our priorities really are.  When we are willing to put anything or anyone in front of God, we are out of balance in our relationship.  Church attendance should be a basic committment from every Christian...an outward show of our love for the Lord.
This post is not meant to be scathing in any way, but rather to encourage you in love of how VERY important being in church really is.  I just can't help but think, what if Jesus had chosen to do things based on convenience...I doubt He would have chosen a cross.  Just doesn't seem convenient to me.
I know I am going out on a limb with this one, but I pray that the Holy Spirit will use this to help someone somewhere ask themself, "AM I COMMITTED OR CONVENIENT IN MY CHURCH ATTENDANCE?"
From my Heart,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment