"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God, in Him will I trust." Psalms 91:2

Monday, July 30, 2012

Going For the Gold

It is that time...time for the 2012 Summer Olympics and whether you watch them, enjoy them or could care less, right now they are taking place in London.  I enjoy following to see how the USA is doing and I thrill each time our country is able to medal.  The Olympics brings together all the world nations and allows a healthy competition among them.  The Olympians work hard and train as they race to reach a goal.  The goal that they have their sights set on is the GOLD MEDAL!
We, too, as Christians are in a race...the Christian race.  We ought to be striving daily to reach a goal...that of gold in the Lord's eyes.  We each will stand before the Lord and give an account of the things we have done in our own personal lives.  We will not answer for our neighbor, family or friend, but simply for ourself.  Romans 14:12 reminds us of this by stating, "So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God." 

To be successful in a race there are a few things one must do:
1. Train ahead of time
2. Persevere through the race
3. Never look back
4. Keep your eye on the prize

The same principles apply in our Christian race:
1. We must train daily by being in the Word of God  (Joshua 1:8)
    We must train daily by talking with our God  (Ps. 55:17)
    We must train by faithfully attending church  (Heb. 10:25)
    We must train by exercising our spiritual muscles in the work of God  (Eph. 6:7)
2. We must keep going even when times get tough  (Gal. 6:9)
    We must not quit running even when we are weary  (2 Thes. 3:13)
    We must keep running even if noone runs with us  (Joshua 24:15)
    We must remember for Whom we are running  (Heb. 12:2)
3. We must not get sidetracked by worldly temptations (Titus 2:12)
    We must not be discouraged by others  (Ps. 56:9)
    We must not be swayed by those who continually look back  (Gal. 6:7)
    We must not run looking back at what used to be  (Luke 9:62)
4. We must remember that there is a Judgment Seat one day  (Rom. 14:10)
    We must remember that we will stand before a Holy God  (Phil. 2:16)
    We must remember those who have run before us leaving us an example  (Hebrews 11)
    We must remember that we will rejoice in Heaven one day (Phil. 2:16)  

Competing for gold isn't an easy task, but when focused, determined and dedicated one can reach that goal.  As Christians, we will face hard work; we will face obstacles; we will face setbacks; but, when we continue to run with our eyes on Jesus, we can finish our race and we can finish with the gold!!
So, I plan to keep running as long as He gives me breath.  I will fall down.  I will get tired.  I will stumble.  I will, though, keep running till I reach Heaven.  How about you?  Have you given up? Have you gotten tired? Have you wearied while on your journey?  It's not too late....just get up and keep going.  Run your race and I will run mine.  Then, in Heaven, together we can rejoice together on races run and jobs well done!
So, my friend, I challenge you, along with me....GO FOR THE GOLD IN GOD'S EYES!

From my heart,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment