Jeremiah 31:3 "The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee."
I John 3:16 "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."
Today is the 14th of February...Valentine's Day! A day when many are giving and exchanging expressions of their love for one another. A day when others, who may not have that special someone, often feel a sense of loneliness. A day when children trade and exchange cute little cards and yummy little candies. A day when retailers rejoice in their sales. Today is what has been deemed "The Day of Love" so much so that it is a national holiday.
Do you remember as a little girl picking that certain flower and proceeding to pull off the petals one by one while saying, "he loves me; he loves me not"? I remember doing that and somehow as a little girl I became convinced this was do or die truth. Looking back, I think what a silly little ritual this was to determine whether someone loved another person. Yet, I realize that, at my core, and at the core of every person is a deep desire to be truly loved.
On this day, I am thankful that I KNOW that I am LOVED and I am not only loved, but I am loved with an everlasting and unconditional love...by my Father God. No matter what our relationship status or whether we spent today surrounded by someone special or it was simply just another day, each and every one of us truly has the greatest Valentine of all and that is the love of our Heavenly Father.
So, on this day, I have decided to think a little more specifically about what this day means to me:
1. This day means knowing that I am forever loved by the One Who saved me and gave His life for mine...there is no greater love.
2. This day means knowing that I have been given an earthly love handpicked for me by my Father in Heaven...Jack Bachman, the man I was made to complete.
3. This day means knowing that I have been given the opportunity to share my love for two amazing boys...Ryan and Jordan, the ones who call me mom.
4. This day means knowing that I am blessed to be a part of a family...to share memories and create new ones with a father, mother, brother, sister and extended loved ones.
5. This day means knowing I am privilieged to serve God...to share His love with others and watch as they grow in their walk and love for God.
Today has been extremely commercialized by this world. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some chocolates and flowers as much as the next girl, but as I grow older I am realizing that there is so much more to this day...
I encourage you to take some time to think about ALL of the people in your life who are special and have touched you in some way. Don't wait for a holiday on the calendar to tell them you love them. Don't wait to buy a card which shares special sentiments. Don't wait...tell them now that you love them. Think about the people who have loved you and invested in you...thank them. Think about your family...love them, not just on this day, but everyday. Life is short and goes by faster than we realize. We are not guaranteed a tomorrow. Take advantage of everyday you have and invest in every person who is a part of your life...you will not regret the time or effort.
Most of all, today, as I look back at the flower petals let's just say that I am so thankful JESUS LOVES ME!!
Happy Valentines Day! May it be special and may we all learn to make EVERYDAY a "Valentines Day" because in reality, that is what every day should be!
From My Heart,