"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God, in Him will I trust." Psalms 91:2

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Words with Friends

Recently I mentioned how I enjoy the game "Words with Friends" and how it has gotten me to thinking about my words with my friends.  There is not a day goes by that we do not talk or speak to others for some reason whether it be our husband, children, families, friends,  coworkers or acquaintances.  Our words are so important and the affect they have on others can be positive or negative; therefore, it is important that we choose our words wisely.
I have definitely not mastered this subject, but as I am growing older I must admit that I am becoming more aware of the things I say and the affect on others. I am working on being more conscious of my word choices. As we all know, once we say it there is no taking it back. That phrase "I didn't mean to say that" somehow never seems to fully make a situation better.  Let's be honest, once the words are out...they are out!
So, I began to do a little study on what type of words I should be using.  I am going to share a few things that I have been reminded of in my own study time. 

Our words should be:

1.  Soft    Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger."
We have a better opportunity to bring a matter to a peaceful resolution when we choose to speak softly or kindly rather than words of anger toward another person.  When faced with a difficult situation, choose to speak words of kindness.  This is not a typical reaction, but when chosen will have much better results.  Again, I am reminded of the phrase, "you catch more bees with honey" and this is a very simple, but practical truth.  Speak softly.

2.  Sweet   Proverbs 16:21  "The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning."  This makes me think about the fact that when I am trying to make a point in conversation or get my point of view across, it is more likely to happen when I speak with words that are sweet. A person who is beligerant with their words or bossy does not tend to convince others of any point of view.  Choose your words carefully.  Speak sweetly.

3.  Suitable   Proverbs 16:24  "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones."    Our words can heal or hurt the spirit and health of another person, including our own.  When we use harsh, ugly words this has a negative affect; just as pleasant, specifically chosen (suitable) words can and do have a positive affect on others.  Think before you speak and be appropriate in different situations.  If you aren't sure what to say, then don't say anything.  Speak suitably.

4.  Scant   Proverbs 10:19 "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise."   In general, the more we say, the more we can find ourselves saying things we ought not to say.  There is wisdom to be found in a man (or woman) of few words.  You know the old phrase, "I put my foot in my mouth" which refers to someone saying something they didn't mean to say or should not have said.  This can be avoided by simply speaking less and being much more thoughtful before we speak. Speak scantly.

5.  Slow  James 1:19  "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:"     I have heard said before that God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason and this verse seems to give a little light to that saying.  It is important that we learn to speak after we listen and after we think through what ought to be said.  I am learning as the years go by that opinions do not need to be shared...they can be thoughts kept to ourselves.  We are not obligated to say everything that is on our mind.  Speak slowly.

These are just a few thoughts; nothing fancy, but rather simple practical helps that would benefit each of us.  What kind of "words with friends" do you and I have on a daily basis?  Do our words please our Saviour?  Are our words fit for the hearer?   Proverbs 25:11 says, "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."   Our words can be beautiful, but we have to put forth a conscious daily effort to speak in a way that pleases God. 

So, enjoy the app on your phone and continue to play the game "Words with Friends" and as you do, ask yourself are you daily applying the right principles to your own WORDS WITH YOUR FRIENDS?  If honest, I am sure, we could all work on this area and find ways to improve.

Well, I have a game to finish...looking for a good word to play my "Z" tile and get a lot of points. Until next time....

From my Heart,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment