"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God, in Him will I trust." Psalms 91:2

Friday, July 13, 2012

Faith or Fear...which will you choose today?

Recently I had a conversation with someone about something that was somewhat of a burden in their life. I guess it was more of a "what do I do type situation?" for this person. They were trying to make a right decision, but in doing what they thought to be right would be missing out on something spititually good for them. Now, that is what I would call a perlexing circumstance. So, it got me to thinking...   
In conversation with this person, I told them I would be praying about the situation for and with them. Their response was thankful, but IDK...meaning, I don't know. It was like they were throwing their hands up in the air and giving up because they saw no hope in sight for the situation they were in...their faith, at the time, seemed small. Unfortunately, life can be like this for all of us at times. We face a situation and we face it one of two ways: FAITH or FEAR?
Do we trust God to work all things out for our good or do we fear and miss out on the blessings He had in store for us? The Bible is filled with examples of people who were weak in their own flesh and feared the choices they had to make, but these people chose to follow God and put their faith in Him to help them through their decisions and choices.
Moses: He stuttered and felt insecure in his abilities...what if he had not trusted God? Would the people have crossed the Red Sea? Hmm...
David: Saul sought constantly to kill him...what if David had run and hid forever? Would he have been called "a man after God's own heart?" Hmm..
Joseph: Falsely accused; imprisoned and forgotten...I think if I were him I totally would have given up...what if he had not stayed true to God through all his trials?  Would he have helped to save a nation from starving and have helped his family?  Hmm...
These are just a few examples of people who overcame a fear of "what if" and simply learned to have faith and trust that God knew best.
How can we grow our faith:
1. Stay in our Bible DAILY   Rom. 10:17   Faith will come the more we are in the Word of God 
2. Stay in church every time the doors are open   Heb. 13:7   We are given men of God who exhort and teach us from the Word of God. The more we hear the Word of God, the more our faith can grow. Plus, in church, you will be around others who are growing and who are striving to grow in their faith too...this is an encouragement for you to keep on going.
3. Stay praying fervently   Psalms 5:3   God should hear from us every morning and this verse tells us to "look up" meaning to look to God. He is the answer for everything in our lives.
These are three very simple steps that will help our faith to grow. There is no secret recipe, but rather daily steps that will keep us focused on God and on His strength instead of our own fears.
I am reminded of Matthew 17:20 where it speaks of faith moving mountains...that is what I want in my life...a MOUNTAIN MOVING FAITH. I don't want my fears of "what if" to keep me from the blessings God has in store, the victories He has planned, and the growth that He intends for me.
So, today I have pondered a bit my own life and the faith or lack thereof that I have when it comes to certain areas. I have to admit, I have some fears about certain things in my life. I have allowed these fears to stop me from doing all that I believe God would like to do in my life.
This recent conversation made me assess my own FAITH/FEAR factor...I have some improvements to make. I am going to be praying for the situation my friend brought to me and I am going to work on improving my own faith.
I sure am grateful for the lessons God brings my way. It is good to know God is still trying to teach me and I pray that I never stop learning.
So, how is YOUR faith? Are you living with the FAITH FACTOR or the FEAR FACTOR?
Remember, Romans 4:20 says, "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God."
You and I, too, can claim the promises of God with full confidence!
I challenge you today...claim faith in God and see what He can do through and with you!
From my Heart,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment